A full menu for every Monday of the Year (Hardcover)
2009 saw the launch of the Meat Free Monday campaign – which encourages people to go meat free for one day a week, in order to reduce their environmental impact and live a healthier life. The campaign now enjoys over half a million supporters around the world. The Meat Free Monday Cookbook is a beautiful collection of recipes designed to inspire you to make your meals each Monday meat-free.
There are 312 recipes in total, including contributions from top celebrities and chefs such as Kevin Spacey, José Pizarro, Tom Aikens, Twiggy, Giorgio Locatelli, Bryn Williams, Yotam Ottolenghi – not forgetting the McCartneys, themselves passionately vegetarian.
Recipes are divided into seasons to make meal planning and shopping easier and the book beautifully brings to life the contributors’ love of all things legumes:
• Breakfasts include ‘Roasted Mushrooms with Tomatoes’, ‘Berry Muffins’ and ‘Porridge with Blueberries’
• Packed Lunch ideas such as ‘Cannellini Bean and Watercress Salad’ and ‘Red and Yellow Pepper Salad’
• Lunches are as diverse as ‘Fresh Tomato & Basil Soup’, ‘Fatoush Salad with Grilled Halloumi’ and ‘Spiced Wholewheat Couscous with Sweet Potato and Pumpkin Seeds’...
• ...whilst Dinner ideas will surprise and delight, such as ‘Roasted Butternut Squash and Marrow’, ‘Thai Vegetable Curry’ and ‘Leek and Ricotta Tart’
• Desserts are as tantalising, with recipes for ‘Plum Crumble, ‘Chocolate and Chestnut Cake’ and ‘Christmas Pudding Trifle’ all getting some airtime.
The idea behind the Meat Free Monday campaign is that by joining together in having one meat-free day each week we’ll be making great steps towards reducing the environmental problems associated with the meat industry. Home cooks will also give their own health a boost, and with the added benefit that vegetables cost less than meat, having one meat-free day each week means it’s good for the bank balance too.